Thursday, April 11, 2013

My Running Story

Today I thought I would share my "running story" if you could call it that. First of all, I am a NEW runner. Definitely not experienced at all. Back in January, my family all thought that we should do something together. Like a big event that we could all participate in. For some reason I kept getting stuck on the idea of running. Running a 5k or 10k, definitely not a half marathon or marathon. I brought the idea to the fam and they loved it! We picked a place to run our first running events that was going to be fun and exciting (also, my favorite place in the world) DISNEYLAND!
Like I said, I am a new runner. I mean I just decided to run when I signed up for the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend. Before I signed up, I dreaded the mile at school, never ran on my free time, and absolutely hated the thought of it! So, I decided that I would definitely not go past the distance of a 10k. The 10k (6.2 miles) is already a huge challenge for me.
Well, the day came when me and my family would all sign up for the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend. I reminded my mom the date and the time that they were going to release the registration. She forgot. Yikes. Luckily, I remembered and when I got home from school the day registration opened, I ran straight to computer and looked on runDisney's website.
Next, I went to go click on the 10k. Then I realized something horrible: the 10k was sold out! How could it be sold out? Registration had only been open for a few hours! This was crazy. My mom and sister had already decided to do the 5k but me and my brothers were challenging ourselves for the 10k. Now what would we do?
Me and my brothers had a little pow-wow and decided that we weren't going to travel all the way to Disneyland just to run a 5k. So, our only other option was the half marathon. The thought of that made me cringe. We were all very skeptical at first. Could we do this? It was 13.1 miles! We would have to train for a while and actually run 13.1 MILES! Once we got over this fact, we just closed our eyes and signed up.
So, I've been in training for a few months slowly, very slowly, working my way up in the miles. I'm up to about four miles right now. I have been sick so I haven't really gotten to run lately but hopefully I can get back to training soon! My brothers don't think they need to train (yeah right) so they aren't going to actually start running until June/July. I'm hoping I'll get a faster time than them just so that I have bragging rights and that my long-term training will actually be payed off. 
I am hoping to run in a few more half marathons because I've kind of fallen in love with running now. Hopefully when I'm older, I'll be able to run a full marathon! As for now, I'm sticking to half marathons. I hope you guys enjoyed my :running story" :) Have a great day!

QOTD: Have you ever ran a half marathon? What made you sign up?

No comments:

Post a Comment